Getting advice



You can get advice from the Arun & Chichester Citizens including online, by phone, and in-person local to you.

In person

Due to the current Coronavirus outbreak, some of our advice centres located in the area are closed. Our Bognor Regis centre is open Tuesdays 10am-1pm (or by appointment). Our Chichester centre is open Mondays 10am-1pm (or by appointment), and our outreach in Littlehampton Library is open Wednesdays 10am-1pm (or by appointment) for those who cannot access us by phone or online only.

By Telephone 0808 278 7969

Call the FREE Adviceline telephone number 0808 278 7969 to speak to one of our team (Monday to Friday 9am - 4:30pm) or if you need energy advice, including assistance with paying your bills, you can call our energy line on 01243 974063 (Monday to Friday 10am-4pm, local call rates apply). If you need help applying to the EU Settlement Scheme, complete this form to request an appointment.


Advice Guide: Citizens Advice self-help website containing advice on many different subjects, including benefits, employment, housing, and tax. The information is online and accessible 24/7 and in a number of different languages, including British Sign Language. CLICK HERE 

Web Chat Service: If you can’t find what you are looking for on our website you can chat online with one of our advisers - CLICK HERE  (Monday to Friday 9am - 4:30pm)

Video Advice: Our NEW, easy-to-use video service allows you to connect with a local adviser instantly using your desktop, mobile, or tablet. To start a video chat during our open hours, CLICK HERE (Tuesday to Friday 10am-12pm)

or you can book a Video Advice appointment through our online form. You can also use this form for booking appointments using Relay UK, for those with hearing or speech difficulties.

Access Our Specialist services

For a full list of the other services offered by Citizens Advice Arun & Chichester and other organisations, visit our "Specialist services" page.