Pension Credit: Check your eligibility


Pension Credit gives you extra money to help with your living costs if you’re over State Pension age and on a low income. Pension Credit can also help with housing costs such as ground rent or service charges.

You might get extra help if you’re a carer, severely disabled, or responsible for a child or young person.

Pension Credit is separate from your State Pension.

You can get Pension Credit even if you have other income, savings or own your own home.


Other help if you get Pension Credit

If you get Pension Credit you can also get other help, such as:

  • Housing Benefit if you rent the property you live in
  • Support for Mortgage Interest if you own the property you live in
  • Council Tax Reduction
  • a free TV licence if you’re aged 75 or over
  • help with NHS dental treatment, glasses and transport costs for hospital appointments
  • help with your heating costs


Pension Credit Mythbuster

There are a number of barriers that stop pensioners claiming Pension Credit. They may wrongly think they are not eligible because they:

  • have savings
  • own their own home
  • may be working
  • may be getting a small occupational pension
  • may have been turned down in the past

Other factors may be that they:

  • do not want to be seen as needing to claim
  • feel that they’re able to manage
  • do not think it’s worth applying (as the amount they get will be very small)
  • do not recognise themselves as a Pension Credit claimant
  • have not got around to it
  • think it’s a complex and confusing subject
  • already get other help and do not want to mess up the benefits they are getting
  • They do not think they’ll be eligible for Pension Credit

DON'T assume you're not entitled! Get a full benefit check today!

Check if you're eligible

The Pension Credit calculator can be useful in finding out how much you may be entitled to - without giving any personal details

If you'd prefer to speak to someone about your personal circumstances, our advisers are always on hand to assist. You can call us for free on 0808 2787969. Alternatively, you can speak to us via web chat or via video.

If you're entitled, claim it!

Useful links:

Citizens Advice